Don't wanna miss anything? Then follow my blog!

9/29/08

Tuesday's Tutorial "How to Hand-Paint Soap!"

Wanta make some custom soaps for your bathroom to display in your favorite soap dish?! How about making a few of these and giving them as Christmas gifts this year displayed in a nice tin?! These are so easy to do that anyone can do them! The best part is, you can customize them to anyone's decor or holiday and they are completely usuable!!! That's right, these can be used just like any other soap....and the design stays on all the way til the end of the bar!



Hand-Painted Soap

Supplies:
*Bar of Soap (I recommend Dial or Pure & Natural found at the $ tree....these have a SMOOTH back on them for painting...so, check your soaps first for the smooth backs!)
*Flat Paint Brush
*Various Paint Brushes for painting designs
*Acrylic Craft Paint
*Mod Podge

Directions:

Step #1
First take your soap and flip it over to the SMOOTH side. Now, paint on the top of the soap your first coat of Mod Podge. Let dry for atleast 15 - 20 minutes. When dry, paint on another coat of Mod Podge. Let dry completely, approximately another 15- 20 minutes.

Photobucket


Step #2
Now take and paint on the basecoat of your design. Let dry completly. I like to put on another coat of my base paint for a more opague finish. Let this dry completly again.

Photobucket


Step #3
Now for the fun part....painting your design! I just go right to my soaps with brush in hand and start painting. I am NOT a pro- painter either so I do like to stick to simplicity! You do not have to be a skilled painter to do these, or even paint at all! Do something simple if you can't paint. They sell paint markers in so many different colors now, and they are so easy to use. If you can write with a pen, you can use a paint marker. Write simple things on your soaps like: faith, hope, love....live, love, laugh.....faith, family, friends.....just to name a few!!!!


I also like to purchase small stencils at craft stores and just stencil something small on them. This is also a quick and easy way to paint your soaps! Here are 3 that I did....one has a simple handwritten saying, another has a crow I stenciled on, and then a handpainted pumpkin.

Photobucket

Now display in your favorite Soap Dish!
Photobucket

NON-PAINTING OPTION: If you are still timid about handpainting a design onto your soap...you can Mod Podge some graphic images onto it!!! In my "freebie" box on the right I have included my Vintage Christmas tags for you to download. After completing Steps 1&2, cut or tear (I personally like the uneven edges!) your Image out. Now, apply Modpodge to your basecoat, apply your Image (smoothing out air bubbles), let dry, then apply 2 coats of Mod Podge ontop to "seal" your design! That's it!


A great way to make custom soaps for pennies.....Hope you enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. Such a neat idea for seasons! So nice of you to share.

    Have a great day.
    ~Ronya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Char, I had no idea how one achieved this!
    Thanks for the post.
    I do think when I learn to paint in my next life I will try this...lol
    Hugs, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. You amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you made a tutorial on soap painting...I've made soap and always wanted to add a little something else to it... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them! I always thought it was supposed to be hard to paint on soap. At least that's what people have made it sound like. Of course I should know better because often I have found you can paint on nearly anything and it's not nearly as hard as others make it out to be.

    I wonder who will be the first person in my house to try and USE the handpainted soap, though? LOL

    Thanks for sharing

    Have a great day!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I love Tuesdays! Thank you so much for a great gift idea. I am going out today to look for that crow stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh what a cute idea! Thanks for another wonderful craft idea! <3Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea, that would make great teacher gifts or just that hard to buy for person!
    Thank Char!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my goodness, Ilove it. They are so neat and the ideas are endless as to what you can paint on them, what about a saltbox, willow tree, sheep or star? i'M certainly going to try this they would make great stocking stuffers!
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the soaps! Cute as can be!
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOWEE KAZOWEE! You never cease to amaze me with your unending talent. I love these soaps. Great idea, and I can't wait to try it. Char, I can't wait to see what you do for Christmas stuff.
    I love OCTOBER too. My absolute favorite month. I try to eat apple pie more, drink more hot apple cider....love the cooler weather, it's 104 today but who cares, it's cooler in my mind!
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Char!...will make some for my guest bath, cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely going to give these a try! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! Thanks so much!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin